Friday, November 15, 2013

Oz

Today was a relatively calm day at the office, though I suppose things don't every really get crazy in regards to label writing. I went through the labels very carefully today, and will discuss all of them in detail with Adam on Tuesday.

In the afternoon, I had run out of things to do so I asked another curator, Tom Loeffler, the curator of paper pieces and books, if I could assist with anything. He gave me a list of objects to look up, which I spent the rest of my afternoon with. I haven't worked with prints or other paper pieces as much yet outside of the Liber Chronicarum, or Nuremberg Chronicle, that's included in the trade line as a book that includes a world "history" from creation to 1493, and so involves some fairly accurate prints of foreign cities. Although not pertaining to globalization in the least, these pieces will be going up in an exhibit that corresponds to the Tuileries exhibit scheduled to open in February. I have done a tiny bit of work for him before, and the interesting things is trying to see how patterns, methods, and subject matter in prints and etchings correspond to cultural movements and other artistic trends.

With the second week at an end, the feeling of time flying too quickly has only increased, and made me realize I am on the other side of the hump in regards to this project. Of course, I look forward to resuming normal classes, and Thanksgiving before that, but it feels slightly reminiscent of Dorothy waking up to realize it was all a dream, though of course that comes with the potential benefit of realizing "there's nowhere like home," or my routine life, as well. Sorry the post is so short, but I didn't have enough today to fill a long one.

1 comment:

  1. What are some of the patterns and details in prints and etchings that help viewers see the difference between cultural movements and other trends?

    ReplyDelete